Children are not little adults: they have special vulnerabilities to the toxic effects of chemicals. Children’s exposure to chemicals at critical stages in their physical and cognitive development may have severe long-term consequences for health.
It can be daunting trying to figure out how to minimize kids’ chemical exposures. One such chemical exposure can come from a variety of personal care products. That’s why it’s important to choose products that are non-toxic, gentle and safe for the delicate skin of kids.
Here are some tips:
When purchasing baby and kids products like shampoo, conditioners, or any cosmetics, make sure to read the label carefully and look for the following ingredients which need to be avoided.
- Fragrance – made of synthetic chemicals
- SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulfate) – also an insecticide
- Talc – potentially carcinogenic
- Parabens – a preservative synthetic compound
- Mineral oil – a byproduct of petroleum processing
- Eth ingredients – shows the presence of dioxane
- Triclosan – a banned chemical which is carcinogenic
Instead, try to look out for nourishing natural ingredients such as: